Wagner (pop 1675) is located in southeastern South Dakota. Wagner is a progressive agriculture community, well-known for it’s pheasant hunting and only ten minutes from The Fort Randall Dam (on the Missouri River with fishing, boating, and camping). Wagner is also located on The Yankton Sioux Reservation, eight minutes from their Fort Randall Casino.
Wagner Lake had its beginning in 1933 when the Chamber of Commerce, Mayor Lee Chapman, and the businessmen donated funds to purchase pastureland just West of Wagner. The dam, spillway, and a bridge were a WPA Project built with county relief works. Today, the results of volunteer efforts are very evident. A new picnic shelter has been constructed, the old bath house has a new tin roof, stone picnic tables are placed here and there, and a new artesian well is flowing complete with a rock waterfall and ponds. The old diving tower is now a gazebo.
On September 3rd, 2000, the Wagner Community Memorial Garden was dedicated. It consists of flower plots that are dedicated to a deceased loved one, an organization or family. The Garden is on the North side of the lake below the artesian well on rock tiers that volunteers landscaped years ago. There are two walking bridges now; one over the waterfall, and a larger one connecting the north and south sides of the lake. The latest improvement is a walking/bike trail that starts on the southeast corner of the park and goes completely around the lake.
- Wagner City Hall
- Office: 605-384-3741
- Fax 605-384-5644