The Verendrye Museum, located in Fort Pierre, South Dakota, is dedicated to documenting the early history of the Fort Pierre area, and to preserving artifacts from that era.
Named for Louis and Chevalier Verendrye, French brothers who explored the upper reaches of the Missouri River in the 1740’s, the Verendry Museum is located in a 110 foot by 44 foot vintage building that is now owned by the town of Fort Pierre.
The museum’s collection includes regional and South Dakota artifacts, including some from the Fort Pierre to Deadwood Trail, a popular trail for goldminers seeking their fortunes in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
The museum is open from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, from Memorial Day through Labor Day. In the off season, some of the museum’s artifacts are displayed at the Fort Pierre Log Cabin Information Center.