President Franklin Delano Roosevelt established the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1933. From 1933-1942, the CCC was a public work relief program for unemployed, unmarried men. The goal was conservation of our natural resources and the salvage of our young men. More than 27,000 men contributed to many significant projects in South Dakota and helped to support their families back home. The CCC Museum of South Dakota is located in the upper level of the Hill City Visitor Information Center.